Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mount Katahdin

Photo from USA Today
By Robert F. Bukaty
So this is Mount Katahdin. Here's a little info about it that I hoisted off a website called mainniche:
"Mt. Katahdin is the highest mountain in Maine. Mt. Katahdin, harsh and at times unforgiving, dominates the vast remote wilderness of Baxter State Park and is located in Northern Maine, about 25 miles northwest of Millinocket.Mount Katahdin, means "The Greatest Mountain," a name given by the Penobscot people. Many tales of Katahdin, considered a sacred Mountain, are remembered and told by the Penobscot Nation. To climb the Mountain was considered as offensive, an insult to the angry god, Pamola, who had been banished for eternity to the peak as punishment for defiant behavior."


Knife's Edge
My Dad has climbed it at least four times. Ever since I was little I would hear him come home from his wilderness trips and tell stories about it all. The 14 hour climb (up and back) is really hard on the knees, so he's getting to the point where if he's ever gonna climb it again, its gonna have to be soon. Which is why I talked him into going with me in July. He and my brother that is. Randy was invited so he could carry Dad down if necessary :-).

Or we could all just slide down the chimney.


Anyways, I'm in the mood to get Pamola ticked off.

And I'm getting good at climbing mountains.

(Though my Dad says he won't let me go unless I can do a 10 mile run. So I'm gonna need to be getting into physical shape as well...ready for some exercise L? Actually, I don't have it so bad--my brother has to lose 45 pounds.

BTW:Obviously, I didn't take any of these photos, but I can't remember where I got the middle one from. I googled it. Since there are only a handful of people who read this blog, I'm hoping the person who took it (I'm guessing he or she will find out in heaven), will forgive me.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Bring on the exercise, baby. You know where I live :)